You have no items in your shopping cart.
Hyalgan is an orthopedic injection that contains purified sodium hyaluronate of non-animal origin. The injection is used to treat persistent knee pain in osteoarthritis (OA). It is ideal for patients who do not receive adequate pain relief from conventional pharmacological treatment (e.g. pain killers) or physical therapy. The injection is supplied as a 2ml prefilled syringe. The injection comes with a product insert.
What HYALGAN is formulated to do
Hyalgan is mainly indicated for knee pain in osteoarthritis. It is commonly used in patients who respond poorly to oral analgesic (e.g. paracetamol) and non-pharmacological treatment like physiotherapy. Knee pain is usually resulted from the depletion and dilution of synovial fluid in the joint. Rich in concentrated hyaluronic acid, Hyalgan supplements the diluted synovial fluid in the joint to increase its viscosity. This subsequently enhances the shock-absorbing properties of the degraded synovial fluid. At a cellular level, the orthopedic injection reduces pain induction by maintaining a boundary layer around nociceptors. This results in a reduced sensation of pain. In the long term, Hyalgan helps to prevent the progression of knee pain, eliminating the need for invasive knee replacement surgery.
Hyalgan orthopedic injections are manufactured by Fidia Farmaceutici S.p.A. Located in Abano Terme, Italy, the company develops and manufactures medical equipment, nutritional supplements and pharmaceutics for therapeutic use in dermatology, orthopedics and neurology. Established in 1946, the company now owns several subsidiaries across six countries, including United Arab Emirates, Spain and Germany. Fidia Farmaceutici is a subsidiary of P&R S.p.A.
Hyalgan injection is developed and produced by Italy-based Fidia Farmaceutici S.p.A.
What else you need to know
It is associated with minimal adverse reactions, thanks to the natural ingredients that it contains. For example, hyaluronic acid (a naturally-occurring element in the body) is capable of undergoing bio-decomposition and complete reabsorption. Although severe side effects are rare, some patients may experience mild symptoms after injection. This includes (but is not limited to) swelling, erythema, itching, pain, bruising, headache and rash.
- The complete orthopedic treatment involves five injections, which are administered weekly for five consecutive weeks.
- Prior to injection, local anesthetic such as lidocaine can be used to minimize injected-related pain and discomfort. Then, remove the syringe from its packaging. Once opened, the injection must be used immediately. Assemble the syringe and needle. A 20G needle should be used for administration.
- Hyalgan is designed to be administered intra-articularly. Inject the content of the syringe directly into the synovial space of the joint.
- Discard used syringe and needle, as they are intended for one-time use only. The orthopedic treatment should be performed using aseptic technique.
Hyalgan contains 20mg of sodium hyaluronate as its key ingredient. Hyaluronic acid is a natural element commonly found in skin and joint. Osteoarthritis causes a depletion of hyaluronic acid in the synovial fluid, subsequently increasing the friction between bones. This results in knee pain and stiffness. Sodium hyaluronate supplements the degraded synovial fluid, hence cushioning and lubricating the joint. Sodium hyaluronate is also crucial in restoring mobility and joint functions.
What is in the box
- 2ml of Hyalgan pre-filled syringe
- Product insert (contains detailed product information including indications, contraindications, adverse events, directions for use and precautions)
- Needles are not included in the box ( a 20G needle is recommended)
Duration of effect
The analgesic effects of Hyalgan injection typically last for six months, however individual results may vary.
While most patients experience the pain-relieving effects after the third injection, some patients require a full course of treatment (i.e. five injections) to achieve adequate analgesia for knee pain.
To preserve the potency of active ingredients, store Hyalgan injection below 25℃ (77 °F) away from sunlight. Do not freeze the orthopedic injection. Do not use the injection if the packaging is compromised, as it is no longer sterile. Keep the injection out of reach of children at all times.
Expiry (shelf life)
- The expiry date can be found on the packaging. Expired injection may lose its potency, and potentially causes untoward reactions. Do not use Hyalgan injection after its expiration date.
- Follow the storage instructions to prevent premature degradation of active ingredients before expiry date.